Turkey, pumpkin, pie, mashed potatoes- and mud? My cousins and I took an adventure down a trail to a pond not too far from my backyard, expecting a repeat of previous canoeing adventures. Due to the previous drought, instead of a pond we found dried up mud. Being a 10 year old boy, Luke dove straight into the sea of mud screaming “I bet I can go in the farthest!” The deep, thick mud was no match for Luke.
His legs became helplessly frozen in the “quick mud”. Jack, being the oldest, dove into Luke to try to save him. Jack picked Luke up onto his back and set out of what seemed like a death trap. As he was almost out, Jack lost his balance and he and Luke toppled back into the grip of the mud.
Maddie and I attempted to save Jack and Luke. As soon as we stepped into the mud, we were knee deep in binding brown stickiness. Maddie came up with what was a brilliant idea at the time. She stepped out of her completely stuck boots, and instead wore just her thin socks in the cold mud. Following her lead, the quest to save Jack and Luke had not lost hope.
While this happened, 12 year old Natalie was being very helpful and was sitting on the bank crying. As Maddie and I made our way over to Jack and Luke, we felt like we were conquering a jungle. Maddie stepped out of her frozen boots and took a leap towards them, pulling them to safety.
It seemed as if the evil mud had been defeated. Tired, bewildered, and with our nice Thanksgiving clothes covered in mud we trudged back to our house just in time for Thanksgiving dinner- with one great story to tell.
~ Blaire M.
Based on a true story!
ReplyDeleteSimply an exquisite piece of literature!
ReplyDeleteThis was a very intriguing story that kept me on my feet. Very well done Blaire McGavin!
ReplyDeleteFantastic! You are such a soldier, living through the story and being able to tell it!
ReplyDeleteHocwdid you possibly save them. I thought they were gonners
ReplyDelete