Then one day. An extraneous force was felt throughout the forest. Slowly stumbling through the forest were the men dressed in their hardhats and jumpsuits. They came yielding axes and saws. They soon arrived at the base of the tree, and their saw slowly started up as the high-pitched whine grew louder and louder as it sprang to life. Cutting deeper and deeper….and deeper into the trunk of my beloved tree.
Then all of a sudden the forest paused in a sudden silence….
WOOSH! BANG! CRACK! Then the tree came crashing down and so did my world.
This scattered all the leaves, Including me. All over the forest; gone with the leaves were the branches that kept everyone together. I was lost in a world of strangers and hopelessness, wondering how I could ever be the same.
So now me, a little leaf... had to find a new tree to grow on. That tree was Potomac. They took me in with open arms and before I knew it I had found a nice branch on which to prosper. And every once in awhile I will see one of those leaves that I used to know. Shimmering, shifting, shaking on a tree with bark like Emery, still holding fast to those Spring Hill memories.
~ Erik R.
The way you connected the cutting down of a tree made your piece much more fun to read
ReplyDeleteThank you! It was kind of hard to piece together the analogy of the tree but once I found a rhythm to my writing it started to flow better. ELR
DeleteI like how you didn't say what the tree was until the very last sentence. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThanks that's exactly what I was going for! ELR
DeleteI really like how you connected your story to you coming to Potomac and leaving Spring Hill. I also liked the words you used which mad the vignette much more interesting.
ReplyDelete- E.L.
Thank you that connection was what I was going for! ELR
Deletei liked the way you used the analogy of the two different schools - CB
ReplyDeleteThanks, that was what I was trying to accomplish! ELR
Deletesquare up
DeleteThe way you connected a small idea of a tree being cut down to a big idea of you changing schools was really interesting.
ReplyDeleteMD
I like the metaphor used throughout the story because it gives more depth to moving schools. - CE
ReplyDeleteI like how you used the whole story as a metaphor about your schools.
ReplyDelete-KW
I really like your vignette and how it was a metaphor for you changing schools. It gave it a lot meaning than if you were not to use a metaphor.
ReplyDelete-K.C.
Thanks, I really feel like I achieved that deeper meaning! ELR
DeleteThanks, I really feel like I achieved that deeper meaning! ELR
ReplyDeleteTruely amazing. - CHicago news
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool how you related the leaf to your school experience. That's awesome Erik, you done good kid. You done good.
ReplyDeletelel
DeleteThis is really good Erik. I like the way you related changing schools to leaves scattering.
ReplyDeleteI really like how you connected the idea of changing schools to leaves on a tree. It really helped to bring out your emotion on how you felt when switching.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very clever metaphor, and it is good that you did not give it up at the end, it was a metaphor all through.
ReplyDeleteErik, I shed a tear while reading your final paragraph.
ReplyDelete